Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Potty Training Penny

Penny's potty training is going well. I take her out frequently and we stay outside until she potties. I can to you one thing, she's not a fan of wet grass or the rain. She tried to tell me that little pittie puppies just don't simply walk around on wet grass to potty. I had a heart to heart talk with her and said yes they do.

She begrudgingly went (kicking & screaming initially), but lo and behold, once on the grass, she pottied. Then she high tailed it back to the deck, pretty much much pulling me with her on the leash. Amazing how an 11 pound little puppy can pull that much.

Anytime we go out and she has pottied, I let her tell me when she wants to go in. When she's done if she wants to stay out outside for awhile, we do. If she wants to go in right afterwards, we do. I don't want her to think that once she potties, we go back in right away. Some puppies learn that if they don't potty outside, they can stay out longer. I don't want her to fall into that pattern, so she actually gets to call the shots on how long we stay out AFTER she potties.

We've only had a few accidents and they are always my fault because I didn't keep better track of time. She's doing REALLY well with crate training. Only one accident in her crate. Again my fault for making her wait too long.

In the middle of the night, if she wakes up and cries, I take her out to potty. She does her business and we go right back to bed.

She's a very good girl. As I've mentioned in previous blog entries, she's so smart. She blows me away with how smart she is for an approximately 9 week old puppy.

No comments: